Monday, March 3, 2014

Five Interesting Things About Me

{This is the first topic in the series of BlogHer March NaBloPoMo Challenge…}

1. I know all the prepositions in the English language... 


…and can recite them in alphabetical order in under a minute. This is thanks to the nuns who taught language arts, ruler in hand, at Monsignor Slade Elementary School. Side note: I also have mad sentence diagraming skills.


2. I'm sleuthy

I pride myself on my Sherlock Holmes-like detective abilities and, although I haven't solved any crimes, I have figured out some of my life's little mysteries.
Why no Christmas card from our perennially happy friends in Richmond?
Splitsville. That's right.
Why is the information on Ancestry.com for my grandmother's family in two different last names?
Her older brother was (gasp) conceived out of wedlock.
{You heard it here first…}


3. My life-long best friend married my husband's best friend from childhood.


Chris and I met when we were 13 and she moved to Maryland from Connecticut. Craig and Bill grew up in the same neighborhood. Too complicated to really explain, the situation has made for a wonderful, happy group of "practically family" for the four of us and our five collective children who are as close as cousins. 

Sadly, we've known each other so long, there's not even an attempt to filter comments that cross the line. My favorite came from Bill who asked, as I was trying to recount a particularly complicated story if I was, "getting paid by the word." Enough said...




4. I actively work on my life's bucket  list at every opportunity.


Why? I'm not sure. Maybe because I like lists. They provide a little guidance and framework from which to plan. There is also a certain satisfaction to checking something off. The "I did it!" feeling is so satisfying. Especially when its something you've wanted to do for a long time.  

Learning new things keeps us pliable and evolving. Thanks to the list I've become a fencer, tennis player and most recently, a cellist. 
{P.S.: That's fencer with an epee, not stolen merchandise.}

5. I'm game

I'll be your +1 for virtually anything {within reason, mind you…} that has "fun potential." Here are just a few of the things I've been ask to try in the past that have stuck and become things I really enjoy.

Bird watching

Alligator spotting

Coin collecting

NASCAR/Indy car racing

Hiking 

Pilates

Paper crafting

Going to the symphony


The top five came from my kids and were a great way for us to spend time together.

Happy Monday….stay sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment